Sunday, April 10, 2011

Club Ride - April 9, 2011 - Green Swamp Loop

The usual crew plus one met for breakfast as per our custom. Following breakfast the riding contingent of the club was down to three, which quickly turned to two when Mr. Sarcasm had to turn off and head toward other pursuits. That left just me and "Preacher" to enjoy the day of riding that was to come. And enjoy it we did!  By the time my wheels stopped turning for the day I had logged 196 miles of very enjoyable riding in and around the Green Swamp.

After riding for a few hours, "Preacher" and I made our way south from the Groveland area down to Fantasy of Flight where we had lunch and took in the sights.  I was able to snap a few photos from the parking lot side of the fence, such as this beautiful Stearman that can be hired for scenic flights:



This is one beautiful plane and I couldn't help myself when it came to clicking off shots:



I would love to take a flight in one of these great planes...and I just might make it happen soon!:



They also had a New Standard that was doing ride duty. While we were there this plane stayed busy hauling up to three passengers at a time in the large front cockpit area:



This is a nice plane, as well, but the Stearman has fully captured my imagination:



The Lockheed Constellation still stands guard at the entrance to Fantasy of Flight:





"Preacher" and I had lunch in the Compass Rose Diner, which is located in the rotund portion of the building on the right of this photo. The food was pretty good and reasonably priced, especially considering that Fantasy of Flight is a full-blown Florida "attraction":



And just in case Fantasy of Flight owner Kermit Weeks or his staff just happen to stumble across this post, here's a shout out and a request for Mr. Weeks to update his own blog for those of us who enjoy reading it.

After lunch at Fantasy of Flight, "Preacher" and I rode north again on SR 33 and did another pass through the swamp on Green Pond Road before heading home and calling it a day. 

Below is a little video I put together from yesterday's ride:




Green Swamp Ride

1 comment:

Gunny said...

Very nice. Hard to beat a couple of Green Pond passes.