Sunday, April 03, 2011

Sun 'n Fun 2011 - My Photo Expedition

I made a pilgrimage over to Lakeland, FL, to attend the annual Sun 'n Fun, one of the largest aviation events in the world. Below are a few of the many (over 1,600!!!) photos that I took yesterday:



This T-28 Trojan participated in a simulated bombing run. That why you see all the dark smoke.



A Chance Vought F4U Corsair; just my most favorite plane in the world. When I win the lotto, I am so getting one!!!



This is the WWII-era B-25 bomber dubbed "Panchito" Long time readers of this blog may recall that I took a flight in "Panchito" a few years ago.



A nice formation of T-28 does a fly-by for the crowd.



There was some parachute action mixed in with all the warbirds.



A gorgeous P-51D Mustang parked on the warbird ramp. This plane would be my other winning lotto purchase!!!



The business office of the USAF's F-22 Raptor fighter jet.



Old meets new as the P-51D "Crazy Horse" shares the taxiway with the F-22 Raptor.



"Crazy Horse" demonstrates the awesomeness that is the P-51D Mustang. "Crazy Horse" is unique among Mustangs because it is a two-seater. Despite the fact that the second seat was vacant, I was unable to get a ride!!!



Up close and personal with a T-28. I take one for a spin in a heartbeat.



The F-22 Raptor gets airborne in front of a spellbound crowd.



The F-22 Raptor shoots skyward in full afterburner.



The F-22 pilot gave me a nice shot of the underside of the plane.



Climb, baby, climb! Check out that afterburner flame and the vapor trail on the leading edge of the wing.



I love this head-on angle of the F-22 Raptor. If you're more foe than friend, you probably don't enjoy this view so much.



This is one of five L-39 Albatross jet trainers that make up the demonstration team "Heavy Metal"



This is a de Havilland "Super" Chipmunk. I have also flown in one of these aircraft thanks to another "incentive" ride a few years ago.



"Fat Albert Airlines" takes to the sky ahead of the Blue Angels demonstration.



The Blue Angels taxi into position for takeoff.



Major Brent Stevens, Blue Angel #3, waves to the crowd as he taxis to takeoff.



Yeah, they're pretty awesome! And no, there's no photo trickery here; that's the real angle of flight relative to the ground.



Beautiful jet, the F-18 Hornet.



Lots of action throughout the demo flight.

Okay. That's enough photos for this site. I have posted a selection of these and other shots from yesterday and you can see them by clicking here

The Sun 'n Fun is a great event and I highly recommend you take it in at least once.


1 comment:

Gunny said...

Great shots.