Sunday, July 01, 2012

The Front Office of my ST1300


Here's something for the non-riders amongst my readers. This is a shot of the cockpit of my ST1300 with all the essential operational bits labeled for your edification. Although this photo is somewhat busy, things aren't as complicated as they may seem as one only makes quick reference to some of this stuff while riding, some of the controls are manipulated by feel and muscle-memory, and still others are only referenced or accessed in specific situations or conditions. Anyway, enjoy this little glimpse into the operation of a Honda ST1300; other sport-touring bikes are very similar in their cockpit configurations:


5 comments:

Gunny said...

You forgot to point out the bugs on the windshield.

The Navigator said...

Those aren't as much bugs as they are marks of character!

Seroom said...

Hi there.
Neat Blog.

I to have the ST1300 (Black as well).

I used the little round blind spot mirrors, but I wonder why you placed yours in the top outer of each mirror? Doesn't this use up valuable real estate in the regular mirror. I have mine in the bottom left where the only thing I can see is the panniers anyway.

Steve

seroom said...

I Mean to say "I have mine in the 'bottom inner' where the only thing I can see is the panniers anyway.

The Navigator said...

Hi Seroom/Steve,

Thanks for your comments on my post. As for the spot mirrors, I located them where they worked best for me. Given my height in the saddle, riding position, etc., the location I used was simply the one that afforded me the best view.

Those spot mirrors were added after a close call while changing lanes in downtown Tampa traffic. I checked the right side mirror and all was "clear". But, as I move right I was greeted with a loud horn and found a small sedan occupying the space I wanted. The spots were installed ASAP and I never had that problem again.

FYI, I traded my beloved ST1300 last year for a Triumph Trophy SE. My advice to you would be to hold on to your ST for as long as possible as I sorely miss mine and wish I had not fallen for the allure of a new bike.